Thursday, June 23, 2005

my english sucks. i need to do something about it.

my study in mass communication course is not working right. i am facing a very serious problem that can easily jeopardise my 3 years in ngee ann poly.

i got back my first report yesterday. the grade was far from encouraging. and the lecturer's comments werent in the least encouraging at all. i got a C- grade for the report. it is the lousiest grade in class. i was experiencing despondent about this failure the whole of yesterday. i have already read through my report 3 times to count. and i must admit i really deserve the C- grade. it was a badly written essay with grammatical errors running through out. and the bad habits i cultivated from blogging are all clearly reflected in the essay.

i gotta say i have bad bad english foundations. i grew up in a chinese-speaking environment. my parents spoke zero english to me. i speak chinese to my friends in school too. in fact. i didnt really started speaking english most of the time till i got into CJC for my 1st 3 months course this year. however.i would say i havent got much problem communicating in english. its the writing part that is really killing me. the sad thing is. the ability to write well is the most vital to a mass comm student. all of the modules we do require us to do reports. writings. essays kinda stuff. this is best summarised in one of the comment my lecturer left for me in my essay.

it says, '' you need to improve on your english writing skills in order to survive in MCM.""

wah. i was really damn demoralised. but. i know the most important thing is for me to get over it and start doing something concrete to improve the standard of my english language generally. complaining and blogging will help nothing. so. i have come up with a plan. hope i am able to execute it with determination.

1. start reading more. i need to start reading the newspaper more regularly. read stuffs like newsweek and check out meanings of words that i dont know.

2. no more crap language in my blog. i am going to blog more formally. chris's blog would be a good example. it is written in proper language. however. it can still be funny.

3. go back to primary school grammar. grammar is the foundation to all aspect of english. without good grammar. good sentences are not formed. leading to bad paragraph. resulting in badly written essay. and ultimately fucked-up grades.

4. improve my vocabulary bank. its essential. i can start by checking out ''cheem'' words in emily's blog.

k. enough of all these. all talk and no action will lead me to no-where. i need to start improving now. to all friends out there. please do me a favour by pointing out any errors in my posts. you guys can also help me by recommending good books to me that may help improve my language. thanks alot guys.

school work are getting more and more heavy. though my lesson time are short. i have lots of projects based kinda assignment to do. so. i am going to start blogging less in future. daily update is no more possible. but. do tag whenever you read my blog. i would want to know how all my friends are doing. k. going home now.

~~sad and demoralised JJ~~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home